What's new and which areas to watch?
- Artificial intelligence has made huge waves in the last year. Statistics show that more than 80 % marketers and advertisers are already using AI-based tools of one kind or another.
- Less Canva, more “organic” videos and UGC ads – a theory with which more and more digital marketing experts are dealing, which will be emphasized even more in 2024, given the growth in popularity of short video content. It is no longer a secret that users of social networks have a shorter attention span - thus advertisements in the form of images no longer attract attention, as they did in the "golden age" of Facebook advertising. In accordance with the trend, it will be necessary to adjust the range of advertising content and formats, and the messages in the advertisements will need to be wrapped in a "not-so-salesy" format.
- A better e-commerce user experience - integrated stores in Meta have developed rapidly in recent years, from mobile-first stores to sales-focused Advantage+ campaigns. Online shopping is now central to Facebook advertising, and this trend is likely to inevitably continue in 2024.
- "Testing" within a single campaign is no longer such a new strategy, but in 2023 it received quite a few improvements from Meta, so that in Facebook advertising in 2024, various "DCO" campaigns will probably only become more popular.
The impact of artificial intelligence on Facebook ads (meta ads) and what to expect?
Could the impact of AI on Facebook advertising be even greater?
The answer is almost 100% – YES. Artificial intelligence affects advertising on the Meta platform (as well as on other platforms) in two different ways. The first is the impact of artificial intelligence on the development of algorithms for serving ads, and the second is its impact on the actual productivity of creating advertising materials and on the spectrum of ideas that an individual can develop with the help of artificial intelligence.
How Facebook advertising has (and will) improve with the help of AI:
- Improved audience targeting: Precision targeting has reached new levels with UI-driven algorithms. Advertisers can create custom audiences based on complex user behaviors and interests, ensuring that ads reach the most relevant individuals, increasing the chances of conversions.
- Dynamic ads: The AI enables the creation of dynamic advertising content that adapts to the wishes of each user. This personalization increases engagement rates and clicks by providing content that suits individual tastes.
- Predictive analytics: Facebook's AI algorithms analyze vast amounts of data to accurately predict user behavior. Advertisers can optimize ad serving, budget allocation and bidding strategies for maximum ROI, making data-driven decisions.
- Automatic ad placements: artificial intelligence determines the most effective ad placements on the Facebook network, simplifying ad creation and improving campaign performance.
- Ad text and image suggestions: AI provides intelligent suggestions for ad text and images, benefiting businesses with limited design and copywriting resources, resulting in more engaging ads.
- Budget optimization: one powered by artificial intelligence that allocates ad spend to the most successful campaigns and target groups, maximizing effectiveness.
- Ad performance predictions: AI provides pre-campaign performance predictions, helping with ad optimization, targeting and budgeting decisions.
- Automated A/B testing: AI simplifies A/B testing by automatically creating and testing ad variations, leading to rapid campaign optimization.
- Ad fraud detection: artificial intelligence closely examines user behavior to detect fraudulent clicks and impressions and protect ad budgets from fraudulent activity.
- Bulk ad customization: artificial intelligence delivers highly personalized ads to individual users at scale, resulting in improved engagement and higher conversion rates.
What about the effectiveness of individuals?
As already mentioned, 80% of marketers are already using artificial intelligence to help with tasks... so that leaves the bright 20% who will have to accept the hard truth that life is really easier with the use of artificial intelligence in 2024.
Higher efficiency with the use of artificial intelligence can be seen both in the field of generating ideas, as well as in the actual creation of advertisements and writing of sales texts. The UI can automatically generate content for ads, including texts, titles and descriptions. This is especially useful when creating large amounts of ads or when generating content of all kinds that we then include in DCO campaigns - where again the UI does its job and (hopefully) delivers great results.
The use of tools such as Canva is expected to decrease in Facebook advertising
Shorter "attention span" and short video content
Data shows that the attention span of an individual watching videos in 2004 was 2.5 minutes. This gradually decreased and now amounts to about 47 seconds, according to the book by psychologist Dr. Gloria Mark from 2023.
So - how can we adapt to this in the field of online advertising and Facebook ads? The answer lies in even more "instantly" comprehensible, simple content that is as similar as possible to already existing formats on popular platforms. This means short videos, clear information, and the videos should feature actual users of services or products.
If we compare the above with the extremely popular "creatives" from Canva, we can see that everything described is the exact opposite of what can be created in tools such as e.g. Canva. It's true that the tool is extremely easy to use, with a short learning curve, and at the same time delivers outstanding ads... but that also means that just about everyone uses it. It has probably happened to all of us that we have seen our ad, made in a certain template in Canva, in several different forms - and the worst - in the competition.
Users of Facebook, Instagram and other platforms have also become accustomed to this excessive use of the same "creatives" (in quotation marks, because nowadays they are more non-creative:)). According to research, in 2023, users should have become accustomed to this repetitive ad format to a certain extent, and such ads should no longer be so noticeable and "clickable".
What is the solution?
If you can't beat them, join them. So, if the entire sphere of social platforms and digital advertising is moving to a shorter format of authentic videos, where authenticity counts more than a "perfectly recorded ad" - it is probably necessary to move. It is clear that this type of advertising is not suitable for certain brands and companies, but most of those who use Facebook advertising and others similar for the purpose of customer conversions will have to migrate to the newer ad format one way or another.
The user-generated content (UGC) style of advertising has recently dominated platforms like TikTok, but in 2024, this content will also deliver fantastic results for Facebook, Instagram and other advertising.
User-generated content is quickly becoming an invaluable asset for brands of almost any size. Instead of super elaborate and carefully planned campaigns, many companies are taking advantage of much cheaper and end-user friendly and understandable UGC that works authentically and more importantly drives conversions.
A better e-commerce user experience
Improvements in product sales as well
A better in-store user experience is critical to sales – and this is also true in the digital world, especially on platforms like Facebook, which have been rapidly evolving towards integrated shopping experiences in recent years. From mobile-focused Facebook Shops to sales-centric Advantage+ campaigns, Facebook is establishing itself as the gateway to online shopping.
In 2023, it was estimated that 37% of users made a purchase directly through the platform, which clearly shows the opportunities for certain changes in the approach to advertising in e-commerce with a wide audience such as Facebook. Consumers are looking for convenient and fast shopping experiences, and Meta allows users to discover, view and buy products with just a few clicks.
So what does this mean for Facebook advertising in 2024?
Establishing a strong Facebook store presence is no longer a choice – it's becoming more of a necessity. If you want to maximize sales in 2024, make sure you're delivering a seamless user experience on Facebook with shoppable ads, convenient ordering options, and product-centric campaigns — and of course, make sure you're following all the other changes and recommendations as well. The combination of even simpler ordering options, various dynamic campaigns for more effective testing and the use of UGC content can bring you an obvious jump in results.
A final farewell to the large number of campaigns in Facebook advertising?
Using dynamic campaigns
Recently, we have said goodbye to quite a few functionalities within Meta's advertising platform, but we have also adopted quite a few new "add-ons". Above all, below the line, there is a noticeable shift (as well as on other platforms) towards the automation of campaigns by Meta itself. Until recently, many advertising accounts were full of various test campaigns, in which a large number of various advertisements were crowded, where "winners" were chosen and advertisements were duplicated a lot.
Meta has made a noticeable move towards dynamic ads in recent years, so we got Advantage+ and DCO (dynamic creative optimization) ad placement options, where even within the ad itself there are several different options for testing different variables, which used to use multiple copies ads. Such a shift means that it is no longer unusual for the structure of a very good advertising campaign on Meta to be as follows: 1 Campaign, 1 Group, 1 Ad...
But what about the results of such campaigns, can Meti really be trusted?
Considering the abilities of various large language models (LLM - probably the best known to everyone is GPT), we could assume that the ability of artificial intelligence and "machine learning" has surpassed human in a big way - at least as far as making logical conclusions is concerned.
So, if a few years ago there could be a doubt that "Facebook is not to be trusted" - it is quite easy to believe that today it is different. The various types of dynamic ads have improved to a considerable extent in recent years, so that the use of various dynamic campaigns is recommended, if not necessary.
Enter the digital world with Apollo Digital
In a world where digital presence is crucial, advertising on various platforms is indispensable. Contact us and arrange a meeting with our team, where we will review your current strategy and draw up a plan for the future with you and ensure top-notch execution.